The Mad River Food Hub (MRFH), located in Waitsfield, Vermont, is in its third year of operation and is seeking a General Manager to assume overall responsibility for the management of a 4,000 square foot shared-use, USDA and State of Vermont inspected food processing and business incubator facility. The MRFH is an L3C for-profit enterprise that provides four core services to its clients, who include both farmers and food entrepreneurs:
1) Shared work space for multiple food processors, along with the scheduling and logistic support needed to share that space efficiently;
2) Dry, refrigerated and freezer storage for a range of users;
3) Transport of products to a variety of area retailers; and
4) Technical and business assistance.
The General Manager will work alongside and manage a staff of two to develop and improve these core services. The position represents a planned transition from the day-to-day involvement of the Mad River Food Hub’s founder, Robin Morris who has been advising food companies for the last 15 years, investing in and helping many of them to scale and grow. Robin will continue to be involved with the Food Hub and as GM you will get to work with Robin as your mentor to learn the operational, strategic and financial needs of advising and incubating early stage producers and value added processor businesses.
The successful applicant for this position will be the person who best demonstrates the following work skills and characteristics:
- This is a Customer Service business. The position needs a people person to effectively manage staff, work with clients, and build connections to farmers and local food system partners.
- MRFH’s General Manager needs to be entrepreneurial, anticipating challenges and opportunities, and solution-oriented in addressing those opportunities and challenges pro-actively.
- The Food Hub’s success requires the GM to be an effective salesperson, eager to articulate the value of the services offered and committed to exceeding client’s expectations.
- The position requires someone who is detail-oriented, good with logistics and scheduling; and numbers-oriented, capable of performing the MRFH’s basic financial responsibilities.
- While the job entails many administrative functions, this is not a desk-job: the General Manager needs to behardworking, able to get to work at 7:00 AM; get out on the road to meet prospective clients; and pitch in to help in the processing rooms, move storage pallets, or drive the delivery truck when the need arises.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate experience of working with people in an entrepreneurial business building environment which includes a level of business development, strategic thinking, business management and an understanding of community based food systems.
Relevant experience in the food industry is preferred. Food processing, especially meat processing, is what brings clients to the Mad River Food Hub, so food safety is absolutely essential to our success. While the MRFH‘s Operations Manager has the primary responsibility for food safety, which includes, preparing HACCP Plans and working directly with clients on food safety processes, the General Manager has ultimate responsibility for food safety at the hub.
- Strategic Leadership: The GM will demonstrate long-term vision and leadership ability in guiding the MRFH’s strategic plan and working with other leaders in Vermont to implement and expand the statewide Farm to Plate strategy. The MRFH will have to evolve its services as the Vermont Food System grows over the next 5 years.
- Business Development: The GM has the responsibility for growing and maintaining the hub’s pipeline of users, building networks in the farm and local food communities, and implementing new ideas to enhance the Food Hub’s repertoire of services. The GM is the public face of the Mad River Food Hub.
- Finance and Administration: The GM is responsible for a range of finance and administrative functions: customer billings, accounts receivable and accounts payable, payroll, insurance management, packaging inventory, room bookings, storage administration, and coordination of weekly distribution runs. The GM also works along with the Operations Manager to meet all administrative food safety and regulatory requirements.
- Systems: The GM will need to quickly become proficient with the systems that run the hub’s scheduling of shared-use processing rooms, storage space, and distribution deliveries. Any experience with QuickBooks, Google Calendar, Mojyle Temp Control and Nextraq Truck is a plus.
- Management: The GM supervises two staff, the Operations Manager and Distribution Driver, and manages relationships with dozens of clients and community partners. Creating an atmosphere of cooperation, professionalism and enjoyment is the essential customer service goal of the management responsibility.
- Facility: The GM works with the Operations Manager to maintain and improve the facility and its equipment.
Salary and Benefits:
The General Manager is a salaried position based on qualifications. Potential exists for performance bonuses and equity participation in the Mad River Food Hub L3C. Please email a letter of interest and a resume to Robin Morris,firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
For more information on the Mad River Food Hub please visit madriverfoodhub.com