Soil Workshop Agenda
Soil Fertility Management For Vegetable Farmers
PRESENTER: Becky Maden, UVM Extension & Singing Cedars Farmstead
9:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- Why soil fertility matters
- Long term soil health
- Maximizing economic inputs
- Environmental stewardship
- Upcoming requirements of Act 64
- Brief explanation of Act 64 (RAP’s)
- What it may mean for vegetable farmers
- Goal is to stay ahead of the law
- Nutrient management planning(NMP)
- All vegetable farms over 10 acres will be required to have a NMP
- First steps to a NMP
- Take soil tests - Which lab to use? Which test to take?
- Interpret recommendations
- Discuss fertilizer and amendment choices
- Nutrient calculator for costs
- Cover cropping as best option for long term soil health?
LUNCH 12:00 - 12:30 p.m.
12:30-1:30 p. m.
Farmer presents farm soil fertility plan
- Lisa MacDougall, Mighty Food Farm
1:30 - 2:15 p.m.
- Break into small groups of 2-3 people to look at soil tests
- Work on developing a plan for one person to present to larger group
2:15 - 3:00 p.m.
- Individual consults or questions with Becky and Jen