Roasting is Everyday Chef's favorite way to bring out the sweetness in fall's abundant crops. Let's look at the myriad of reasons you should roast your veggies tonight!
- It's simple! Peel (or not), chop, toss in olive oil and put them in the oven. Dinner in four easy steps.
- It tastes good: Roasting enhances sweetness and natural flavor.
- While there's no clear answer on whether it's best to cook veggies or eat them raw (because it all depends on the specific veggie and the specific nutrient), it is clear that roasting (but not burning!) will enhance some nutrients in some veggies, like carotenoids in carrots.
- It requires very little fat. If a recipe with 6 servings has 2 tablespoons of olive oil, or 26 grams of fat total, then each serving contains only 4.3 grams of fat!
- It's versatile. Tasty alongside chicken, lamb, pork, or beef, roasted veggies are also great accompaniment for soups, seafood, or baked tofu.
Now that you're convinced, check out our favorite, and easily adaptable recipe for roasted root vegetables.