From the Domestic Diva, Hilary Adams Paul
This simple and vibrant salad blends the best of what summer has to offer with wholesome, nutty-flavored barley and creamy fresh mozzarella.
- 1 pound cooked barley (approximately ½ pound of un-cooked barley; see How to Cook Barley below)
- 2 to 4 tomatoes (depending on size), cored and diced
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 large bunch of basil, leaves finely chopped
- 1 pound ball of fresh mozzarella, diced
- ¼ cup (approximately) olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste*
Place Barley in large bowl. Add tomatoes, onions, basil, and fresh mozzarella. Toss to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste. *Yes, really. Grab a spoon and taste it. Adjust seasoning as you wish. Drizzle with olive oil a little at a time until the barley is just coated. Re-taste and adjust seasoning.
Domestic Diva’s Recipe Tips
Use different colored tomatoes and basil for different colors and textures. Colored tomatoes and basil are often the same price but give a more gourmet feel. Don’t see them in the grocery store? Check out your local farm stand or farmers’ market.
Save a basil top or two and use as a garnish by tucking them into the side of the salad near the rim of the bowl.
How to Cook Barley
For this recipe, you’ll need 1/2 pound of pearled barley, rinsed. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add rinsed barley. Allow barley to boil until it is almost twice it original size. Barley texture should still be slightly chewy to al dente (a firm texture when chewed) when cooked. Drain barley and rinse with cold water to halt cooking.