Rutland Area Farm and Food Link (RAFFL)
RAFFL is seeking a qualified candidate to join our team and take on the primary responsibilities of coaching new farmers in the greater Rutland region and coordinating gleaning activities on area farms.
Responsibilities and Duties:
New Farmer Initiative
- Work with New Farmers in the area to assess their needs, connect them to resources, and create programming that helps them to achieve success of their farms.
- Work with aspiring and beginning farmers to assist them in preparing a detailed learning plan and timeline that links them to available services and learning opportunities
- Conduct outreach to landowners around the region to encourage listings on the Vermont land access database
- Provide information and assistance to landowners so that they can effectively identify their goals for making land available to farmers
- Coordinate with farmers, volunteers, and RAFFL staff members to organize on-farm gleanings and to collect fresh produce from farmers’ markets
- Coordinate storage and delivery of produce to partner organizations
- Track project data and create reports about program delivery
- Continually evaluate and improve program delivery
- Work with Executive Director to pursue additional funding opportunities to maintain and/or expand services
- Other duties as required or as time allows
This position is an hourly positiion requiring 32-40 hours of work each week, year-round. Compensation starts at $15 per hour. Hours of work are flexible, with some nights and weekends required for special events. Mileage for required travel is reimbursed.
The applicant must be self-motivated, disciplined and committed to being both part of a team and leading a team. RAFFL is a Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
- A demonstrated passion for local food and small, diversified farms
- Self-disciplined, self-starter, dedicated to making an impact in one’s community
- Sufficient knowledge of farming practices and farm management to provide useful advice and referrals to aspiring and new farmers
- Familiarity with produce handling and storage requirements
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse groups of people, co-workers and community partners
- Experience successfully juggling multiple projects while meeting deadlines
- Record-keeping, computer, and data entry skills
- Valid Vermont driver’s license and excellent driving record required
- Aspects of this job are physical in nature and require lifting up to 40-60 pounds
- Clear & effective written and verbal communication
- Experience providing technical assistance to farmers
- Experience creating business plans, enterprise budgets, and financial analysis of small, start-up businesses
- Experience with grant management (including evaluation and tracking)
How to Apply
Send a resume with cover letter to Tara Kelly, RAFFL, PO Box 284, Rutland, VT 05702 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for receipt of application is Feb 7, 2014 at 5:00 pm.
Originally published in the Rutland Herald.