Raising Organic Family Farms (ROFF) is an online scholarship and grant program providing financial, education and networking support for aspiring organic family farmers in need. This grant and scholarship program seeks to ensure the next generation of organic family farmers is successful. We support organic farmers who need a little extra help – whether it’s a new piece of equipment or advice from an expert. We offer a limited number of small grants and scholarships, and these funds can be used for material needs, such as equipment purchases, supplies or repairs; education funding for coursework, conference registration or continuing education credits. www.raisingorganicfamilyfarms.com
Approved mentors selected for the program will receive a $2,000 donation to a charity or non-profit organization of their choice. While we would love to help all aspiring organic family farmers in need, our funds are limited. We are not able not respond to each request. You will be notified only if we are able to fulfill your request. No phone calls or emails please.
1. HOW TO APPLY. No Purchase Necessary. Application period open through October 31, 2011, 5:00 PM (PST) (“Application Period”). To apply on behalf of yourself or to nominate another person, complete and submit the online application form available at <www.raisingorganicfamilyfarms.com> during the Application Period, and clearly explain, in 500 words or less, your (or your nominee’s) financial need and desired grant amount, and how the requested funds will be used in furtherance of an organic farming business or initiative.
Applications must also satisfy, and designate, one of the following three categories: (a) SEED MONEY – used for equipment purchase, supplies or repairs to machinery or structures; (b) EDUCATION – coursework, conference registration or continuing education credits; or (c) MENTORSHIP – training with experts in business planning, marketing, retail, livestock management or crop planning (the “Application Categories”).
LIMIT ONE APPLICATION, PER APPLICATION CATEGORY. If application seeks to nominate another person, please use your own information for purposes of the application fields, and clearly identify the nominee (by name, city/state of residence, and any occupation or corporate/educational affiliation, as applicable) in the essay portion of the application.
2. ELIGIBILITY. Applicants must be legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia, and be at least 18 years of age or older at the time application is submitted. Employees of ROFF, Lundberg Family Farms, and their respective affiliates or partners, and their immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of each, as well as any persons involved in the design, administration and/or implementation of this scholarship and grant program, are not eligible to participate or win.
3. REVIEW OF APPLICATIONS. This is not a contest, but a case-by-case review of qualifying applications based on a clearly demonstrated financial need and organic farming objective. The nature of applicant’s (or nominee’s) stated financial needs and objectives will be reviewed by ROFF and its judging partners on a merit basis, subject to the availability of funds. Additional information may be requested by ROFF as part of the review process.
Application Categories are used by ROFF for purposes of subject matter identification, and shall not be used to limit or restrict eligibility. ROFF and its judging partners have sole discretion on the awarding of any scholarships or grants, and ROFF’s decisions on all matters of this scholarship and grant program shall be final.
4. AWARDS. Scholarship and grant recipients will be notified by phone, e-mail and/or mail, based on the contact information as provided in the application. Scholarship and grant recipients’ names may also be announced on the web site.
ROFF and its partners will allocate up to $50,000 in total scholarships/grants, in varying amounts based on need and available resources, with US2008 2844515.1 scholarships/grants to be awarded in $500 to $1,000 increments (e.g., $500, $2,500, $5,000).
Award recipients may be required to execute and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and Release within ten (10) business days following notification. Failure to return the signed Affidavit of Eligibility and Release, or otherwise accept the award in a timely manner, may result in forfeiture the award. Awards are nontransferable, and must be used in the manner set forth in the application. Scholarship and grant awards may be taxable, and recipients may wish to seek independent accounting advice.
5. GENERAL RULES: Scholarships and grants offered to eligible persons only, and void where prohibited or restricted by law. All applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. By submitting an application form (or acceptance of an award, if nominated), you agree to be bound by these official rules and guidelines.
Neither ROFF nor its partners are responsible for incomplete, lost, late, damaged, or misdirected entries not received in time for the drawing. All materials submitted, including the essay submission, become the sole property of ROFF and will not be returned.
Submission of application (or acceptance of an award, if nominated) constitutes express permission for ROFF (or its designee) to edit, publish and reprint application essays, and any other application content, without further notification, permission or compensation, except where prohibited by law.
Submission of application (or acceptance of an award, if nominated) also constitutes express permission for ROFF to use applicant’s name, hometown, company, farm or school affiliation and likeness (i.e., photo), if selected as a scholarship or grant recipient, for purposes of advertising and promotion (including online placement on ROFF’s website and in social media channels) without further notification, permission or compensation, except where prohibited by law.
By submitting an application (or acceptance of an award, if nominated), you hereby release, and agree to hold harmless, ROFF and its officers, directors, agents, affiliates and partners from any and all liability for any loss, claims, damages or injuries arising out of your participation in this program or the awarding, receipt, possession, use and/or misuse of any award.
ROFF reserves the right to disqualify applicants in the event application consists of any fraudulent or false information, and ROFF may suspend or terminate the scholarship and grant program in the event the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the program is jeopardized in any manner.
Program Administrator and Sponsor: The Raising Organic Family Farms scholarship and grant program is administered by Lundberg Family Farms, 5370 Church Street, P.O. Box 369, Richvale, CA 95974.