Disaster Recovery Planning Assistance - VHCB is allocating resources to ensure farmers recovering from Irene have access to in-depth disaster recovery planning assistance - assistance assessing losses and accessing financial and other resources as appropriate to their individual situation. We are partnering with UVM Extension to deliver this assistance. Farmers may be referred to Vermont Farm Viability Program staff (contacts below) or directly to UVM Extension – VHCB Farm Viability staff will enroll those that need in-depth business planning to work with UVM Extension and track each farm’s progress, and we will refer others to appropriate resources.
Land available for farmers affected by the disaster – The Vermont Land Trust is coordinating land offerings and inquires from farmers in need of emergency relocation. VLT will connect individuals as appropriate to UVM’s VT Land Access Database. Siobhan Smith at VLT is the primary contact: Siobhan@vlt.org; 802-262-1217.
Disaster recovery planning assistance may include:
- Assessing losses
- Identifying temporary or long-term replacement land
- Identifying appropriate resources for recovery
- Assistance with disaster-related paperwork and applications (loans included)
- Development of post-disaster Business Recovery Plans: Strategic plans, Cash flow budgeting, Reconstruction or relocation plans, Financial decision-making
In addition, farms may be able to access longer-term planning assistance, including:
- Enterprise analysis
- Full business planning
- Farm transfer/succession planning
Vermont Farm Viability Program
VT Housing & Conservation Board 58 E. State Street Montpelier, VT 05602 www.vhcb.org/viability.html