The Vermont Agency of Agriculture has partnered with the Vermont Community Foundation to create the Vermont Farm Disaster Relief Fund. Application deadlines are every two weeks; the first round deadline is September 19, 2011. CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE VERMONT FARM DISASTER RELIEF APPLICATION.
Please follow the submission instructions on the application.
Timeline of Grant Rounds
- Application deadline* - September 19
- Grant decisions - September 23
- Grant checks mailed - September 30
- Application deadline* - September 30
- Grant decisions - October 7
- Grant checks mailed - October 14
*Application and supporting documentation must be received at the Foundation on this date. Depending on resources available, additional grant rounds may be added.
Grants of up to $10,000 will be awarded to those farms that have applied and are eligible, as available funds allow.
A farm will be considered eligible if:
- it is located in Vermont,
- it is committed to remaining in business,
- it had gross annual sales of at least $20,000 in calendar year 2010, or it is a small or start-up farm that can demonstrate its investment and potential for growth, and
- it has contacted the Vermont Farm Service Agency (FSA).
Uses of Grants
Grants may be used to help replace infrastructure, seed, feed, livestock, supplies, and equipment lost as a result of Tropical Storm Irene, only to the extent those losses are not covered by insurance or can be covered by other sources of income. Grants may also be used to help pay outstanding bills a farmer may have such as farm mortgage costs, land lease payments, or animal feed bills. Grants cannot be used to help recover projected income from crops lost in the storm.
Grant decisions will be made in consultation with representatives from the Vermont Agency of Agriculture, NOFA Vermont, Vermont Farm Bureau, Rural Vermont, Rutland Area Farm and Food Link, and University of Vermont Extension. Decisions will be made within one week of the application deadline and checks will be mailed within two weeks of the application deadline.