RAFFL Workshop Spotlight: Expanding Your Markets - Learning Session Between Institutions and Farmers
RAFFL’s Annual Farmers’ Gathering and Resource Fair is next Tuesday, March 22nd at Green Mountain College (Withey Hall). Register today to attend the numerous workshops happening from 1:00 – 5:30pm!
Workshop Spotlight: Expanding Your Markets - Learning Session Between Institutional Buyers and Farmers (3:00 - 4:00pm)
This session will create a dialogue between food service representatives from local schools, hospitals and more AND area farmers interested in better understanding how to break into those markets. Shannon Stover from the Rutland Regional Medical Center, Marty Irion from Rutland City Schools Food Service/ Sodexo, Nicole Fournier from the Abbey Group (food service for a number of schools in our region) and Andy Hasell (from the Southwestern VT Council on Aging) will all participate in this session.
The issue can be complicated when considered on a macro-scale. But, through communication and problem-solving, perhaps we can unravel some of the pieces and begin to create solutions in our region of Vermont. Join us to be part of the solution
REGISTER NOW to attend the workshop sessions during the Farmers’ Gathering! http://tinyurl.com/farmerfair
- $20 to register
- Save when two folks from the same farm register – $30
- $10 for Green Mountain College Students (please bring your student ID for verification)FULL WORKSHOP LINEUP
March 22: Withey Hall, GMC
1:00 – 2:45pm – Workshop Session I
- Developing a Farm Food Safety Plan (Presenters: Hans Estrin and Ginger Nickerson, both UVM Extension staff)
3:00 – 4:00pm – Workshop Session II
- Expanding your markets: Learning session between institutional buyers and farmers (Moderator: Jill Perry, RAFFL)
- Growers Discussion: On-farm Composting Q & A with the Highfields Center for Composting (Moderator: Jack McSweeney, Highfields Center For Composting)
4:15 – 5:30pm – Workshop Session III
- Hiring farm employees: What you should know workman’s comp insurance, taxes and more (Presenter: Bob Parsons, UVM Extension)
- Growers Discussion: Farm-to-Plate Plan Q & A on scaling up Vermont agriculture (Moderator: Ellen Kahler, Vermont Sustainable Jobs Fund and Eric Rozendaal, Rockville Market Farm)
In addition to workshops, make sure to check out the Resource Fair from 4:00 - 6:30. Over 25 agricultural service providers, technical assistance providers and funders will be available with displays and information about the resources they can provide you and your farm. Afterwards, at 6:30 pm, join us for a community localvore meal and evening presentation, "What does the Farm to Plate Plan Mean for Rutland County," by Ellen Kahler, Executive Director of the Vermont Sustainable Jobs Fund.
The Farmers’ Gathering is co-sponsored by RAFFL, GMC Farm and Food Project and the Poultney Mettowee Natural Resources Conservation District.